Jason Moran
Friday, August 24, 2007
  Confidence Drainer And Booster
This new job thing is simultaneously a confidence drainer and a confidence booster for me. You see, I really liked it when I was working on the project team that I have been at for 2.5 years. I don't enjoy documentation, too much "process", or too much red tape. However, my boss said I need more of that so they want to send me out to more enterprise-level situations. Our business has two halves: a project team half and a staffing half (consulting). I am now on the consulting side.

I don't know how anybody else reads the situation, but that was a serious blow to my confidence because it infers that I'm lacking in my ability to work through red tape situations. I would probably call it more of a "lack of desire", poh-TAY-to poh-TAH-to.

On the other hand, I know I was placed in a lose-lose situation and I certainly worked my behind off and did a bang-up job. The best confidence builder that came out of this was all of the support I got when I was getting ready to leave.

"Dude, if you are leaving I'll be leaving a little after."
"Trust me, you were the only one that knows anything around here and it will suck when you are gone."
"Jay, everybody will see how important you were once you are gone and everything falls apart."
"I'm already trying to figure out where I'm working next because I'm not gonna stay if this is how they're gonna play it."
And this one from a client of ours: "What! You're leaving? (sighs) Great...they're taking the only person that understands what's going on and taking him off my project. What are we going to do now? Maybe I should wait until you are back before we start the next set of work."

In the end I am at minimum happier now because my stress level has dropped significantly and I know that I am very good at what I do.
 
Comments:
Bollocks! What's with all this "poh-TAH-toh" and "bang-up" talk? Since when are you British??

Oh, and uh, welcome to the "field".

BTW, as fun as being on the project team can be... I've been there... there's a lot of intraoffice bullsh*t that goes on as well. I for one, don't miss all that.
 
The Jblog is back! I'm going through some adjustments being back to college after a 5 year sabatical as well.

Hang in there buddy. I'm sure Wallace would hire you at the drop of a hat..or at the drop of some tight pants..
 
Good thing El Sammon is back at school. Maybe he can learn to spell sabbatical.
 
haha burned on a typo again!
 
"I am changing my blog template...I am transitioning now...I might continue to change all of this"



SLOWEST. TRANSITION. EVER.
 
Oh, schnikies, I just realized you're in Brecksville. I'm up the road in Independence/Valley View.

Lunch?
 
Dave, lunch would be good, probably next week. I'm thinking somewhere on 82 because I am at the southern edge of Brecksville and that is already a 10+ minute drive. However, I could probably be coaxed elsewhere if the food was yummy enough.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
for smiles. for fun. for good times. for love. for eternity. for my family. for friends. for myself. for him.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / April 2011 / April 2012 /


>>Blogs that link here

Jason-Moran Dot Com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Buy Jason a Beer!