Jason Moran
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
  Rest Of A Silly Tale, Before Esophagus Expels Food
After the endoscopy I was very incoherent and tried to figure out the words that were being asked of me. I think I said words back, and hopefully some of them made sense. I sort of remembered being in cardiac care (I got to watch my heartbeat!) where I was on oxygen. I had to get some chest x-rays and do a few barium swallows in order to determine whether things were taken care of. You see, with all of my lurching around, I could have helped tear open my esophagus. My throat felt like it was still blocked, so I asked for some water to ensure an opening existed. They wouldn't do that for me.

Anyway, you have to stand up for the barium swallow x-ray (and drink this very heavy chaulky liquid that responds to x-rays). I yelped "I'm gonna be nauseous!". They brought over some pan and I puked bile into it. Sweat started dripping down my face and I was ghost white. They gave me some cold towels to put on my head and I started to see spots and get extra dizzy. It looked like the various medications and sedatives were too much for me. Anyway, I managed to do the barium swallow once. Luckily, one test was enough to see what they needed.

If the esophagus rips it can cause lots of problems, not excluding paratinitis. Basically if left unfound and untreated, you get gangrenous from the inside out and it's usually not recoverable past a certain stage. I would have needed invasive surgery to sew up my esophagus. What did the x-ray show? Well, since I'm blogging, the answer is that there were no rips and 100% of the barium made it to my stomach.

After more waiting they admitted me some time on Saturday. I was rooming with a 75 year old recovering colon cancer patient with diabetes and other problems. He was hilarious. He hit on every single nurse, and he frequently asked the male PCAs where the female nurses were.

So, when you are on an IV drip for a few days, they take blood every few hours, and you get your blood pressure and temperature checked practically continuously and your roomate snores and yells in triumph at 4:00 AM because he was able to make some farts...you don't sleep well.

On Sunday I had 2 rounds of normal X-rays and a very extensive round of new Barium Swallows. I had 7 large containers of barium. I would probably equate the total quantity I had to ingest to about 13 cups. Meanwhile I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything the whole time (besides barium). Not even ice chips :(

The end of the story is that I got released from the hospital at about 12:41 PM on February 12th, 2006. Why is that significant? Because precisely 25 years before that moment Kelly was born. So, I get to go to the doctor a few more times and probably have more surgeries to get this taken care of. I'm on a liquid diet until further notice.
 
Comments:
Uh, dude? Swallowing barium sounds bad. I mean, just the word sounds bad. But your description of the process also sounds bad.
 
well, i did leave a comment here, but apparantly it didn't appear. anyway, sending my sympathies to you jason. sounds just plain awful. and sympathies and birthday wishes to kelly. (I'm sure it wasn't the most fun weekend for you either, kel). anyway, jason, we're all gald u don't have an esophogus rip.
 
I'm just glad I didn't need a barium injection. Apparently there's a different version where they pump some barium into you to see veins, passage ways, etc. That would have sucked.
 
Beef is his nemesis. Cows. Cows are evil.
 
Hey Kelmo, what is that gross name you have for milk? I can't remember exactly, but my stomach turns over every time you say it.
 
Except Kobe beef. I bet if I offered a plate of kobe beef to Moran... free, he'd eat it. Even now, when he's on his liquid diet.
 
We all know what Jason's milkshake does...
 
WOW! That was a bad weekend! Hope you feel better soon!
 
Okay...so no comments on the title of this post? I thought the shear oddity of the words that were used would be cause for a second look. I expect too much.
 
Well, my comments get pretty twisted on your site...so I thought maybe I should just visit for awhile - but the title was hilarious, just for the record!

Sorry it was such an ordeal! I bet my sappy version of this weekend helped you want to "puke" though...lol!!!
 
Wow, the first re-appearance of fake Jason in a loooooooooong time.

I wonder if this post, Rest Of A Silly Tale, Before Esophagus Expels Food will get more comments than I've been getting lately.

It's that darned John Sammon again...always scaring away my commenters.
 
Wow, so beef really is your nemesis. You're obsessed.
 
And if you're not going to go to work, the least you could do is give us a recovery/doctor's checkup update.

Unless they did a colonoscopy, in which case, we're not interested.
 
Milk = cow udder juice

Cheese = rotten bacteria infested cow udder juice
 
Aight now, see, I don't drink milk... but cheese? You just insulted CHEESE?

YOU'RE GONNA DIE CLOWN!
 
How can you be all anti milk but still consume cheese, cheese is a thousand times worst than milk.
 
Mmmm, double cheese. It's Ok, I had subway.
 
Besides, without cheese, we wouldn't have the Monty Python Cheese Shop skit nor Wallace and Grommit.
 
Crap, Jason. All it took for me to learn how to chew my food was throwing up chicken wings on my 21st. Apparently, you need to go the ER two times and drink a ton of disqusting liquid and maybe even get an enema (it could happen with your luck). I hope everything turns out okay!! and Happy belated birthday, Kelly!!!!!!!!!
 
But I will say this, your blogs are always so interesting! :)
 
Well Jason, at least your roommate was not hitting on you. That's a possitive spin on the weekend.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
for smiles. for fun. for good times. for love. for eternity. for my family. for friends. for myself. for him.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / April 2011 / April 2012 /


>>Blogs that link here

Jason-Moran Dot Com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Buy Jason a Beer!