Jason Moran
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
  Christmas Lights Gone Wild
Kelly doesn't really understand how cleaning my room can take 27 hours over a 4 day period. She doesn't understand how making a song playlist for a party can take weeks. You see, when I go to do something, I really over do it. That's why I haven't ever tried to put christmas lights outside of my house yet.

Check this light display out

That is an example of "too much free time" and way overdoing it. If you are curious as to how it was done and wish to do it yourself, here are some of the basics:
First visit Light-O-Rama and purchase various controller boxes and the software needed to choreograph the display to music. Hopefully you paid the extra money for the professional version, because if all you did was buy the hobbyist version then you will need to build a control box, run your own power cables, and do a lot of hand wiring. Next, if you watched the video you will have noticed that his lights change colors. This is probably simply multiple sets of lights that were run. Lots, and lots, and lots of sets of lights must be run. The 40-amp controller boxes have 16-channels each, with most decent light displays using 80 channels (5 controller boxes). The cost is easily into the thousands at this point. Finally, you need to have a low-power FM transmitter to broadcast the audio portion of your show to onlookers in their cars so that you don't annoy your neighbors with loud noises coming from your house.

That's it. It's all or nothing. I'm either going all out like this display or else I am not going to do anything at all.
 
Comments:
can't wait to drive by your house this christmas season.
 
I'll call you Tim the Toolman Taylor from now on.
 
If I was the neighbor I would be really annoyed. I would probably have a headach from all the flashing lights. Kinda neat though!

I agree with Amy don't do anything!
 
Michelle, from work has TONS of lights all over there whole yard, actually all the neighbors have a HUGE light display every year for the holidays. It's crazy like a village full of lights and Christmas stuff everywhere! People come from all over to see it. It's kinda cool, but a little over board! I mean I would never do it! At my house I just like a small amount of lights if any at all. It is fun for little kids so if you guys want to know where the place is I'll let you know.
 
Bode, I was doing some reseach and I'm pretty sure the video I provided is from a guy in southern Ohio (near Cincinnati). He was worried about sound complaints, so part of his method of display was to broadcast the audio over a low-power FM transmitter right into onlooker's cars. I can't find my resource links right now, but I might be able to dig them up again as "proof". Too bad for that guy in Arizona, though.
 
Jason-my uncle showed me this and I saw Dan's eyes as he watched...he is the same way...he doesn't just do anything to get it done, he wants to do it the best. Which is why we'll never have Christmas lights outside : )
 
You guys make me laugh!!

Jason, thanks again for 'brightening' my day...I am with Bek - I would love to see what you could 'cook' up for a Christmas display...but maybe you ought to save all that creativity for your new house and your new neighbors here in Brunstucky - as only us Brunstuckians would truly appreciate your personal perspective on how Christmas lighting can be done right...

As for the neighbors - don't worry, we find it is not hard to annoy neighbors - even when you aren't really even trying - so you might as well give them something 'real' to complain about - ha ha...
 
I shot a 2 1/2" finish nail into my shoe last weekend. Missed the ball of my foot by less than a quarter of an inch.
 
You guys are hilarious. I'm pretty good with a ladder, so my bet goes for:

0 falls
5 staples
 
Man, that light display was awesome! Unfortunately, our little apartment can only handle so much...just a little christmas tree this year =).
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
for smiles. for fun. for good times. for love. for eternity. for my family. for friends. for myself. for him.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / April 2011 / April 2012 /


>>Blogs that link here

Jason-Moran Dot Com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Buy Jason a Beer!