Jason Moran
Tuesday, October 25, 2005
  The Alpha Table
I am participating in a get-together named Alpha for the 4th straight time. It's basically a free dinner once a week for almost two months. You sit at the same table every week so that you get to know everybody else that is at your table on a personal level. Anyway, after dinner this guy named Bruce throws out some thoughts about a topic for a short time (and usually watches a movie clip from Braveheart or The Matrix [or something]) to illustrate some of his points. After that your table gets back together and discusses things over coffee and dessert. Did I mention that my church puts this thing together? It's really a very not-in-your-face way to hear a few things about Christianity and ask a bunch of questions over a long period of time -- so there's never any pressure to do anything other than learn and ask questions at your own pace.

This Alpha is the first time I have been the main table leader. The first Alpha I simply attended and learned about things to solidify my faith. The second Alpha I assisted Ed Cavanaugh at a huge table. The third Alpha I co-led a small table (it was actually a small Alpha overall). This fourth time I now have a table assisstant (Ron). Ron, who is my age, has been through 6 Alphas now...starting as an atheist and slowly (over 4 Alphas) moving to the point where he accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior. Returning from my 3rd Alpha table is Beverly (we call her Bev) who is a very loquacious and bitter Christian who has been hurt many times (and let's us know) yet is a very good older lady. This time she brought her friend David, a Christian, who is very intelligent yet tips the scales on the uber-nerd side of things. We are talking pocket protectors, Star Trek conventions, and nasal snorts.

Mark Chernisky brought two others to our table, one of his little brothers, Aaron, and a friend from work named Sarah. Mark wasn't at our table before, but now he has joined us. He is, I dunno, 30ish, and is the typical St. Ignatius guy (as all of the Chernisky guys are). So, of course his little brother Aaron, a recent Ohio State graduate, is extremely similar (and soooooo quiet). Lastly there is Sarah, a married mother of two with vibrant, short red hair who believe it or not (and I'm serious here) talks more than I do. She says her husband just glazes over and nods/ignores her most of the time. That made me wonder...do other people do that to me and I don't even notice? I've been trying to shut up more lately, but the silence is killing me.

Anyway, the real news is this: Sarah came in as a very eager seeker of truth and of the God she just knew was out there somewhere. A couple of weeks ago, after gaining some understanding about eternal matters and God's saving grace she committed her life to the Lord after a Sunday service. I wish I could have been there to help her pray through it, but I'm very glad it happened nonetheless.

So, now that we have crossed that bridge the following are my goals: Help Sarah mature in her understanding and faith - especially since her husband calls Christianity "a cult" and has no current interest in matters of faith. Get Aaron to open up just a little bit. He has said less than three sentences of words in 5 weeks thus far. Help Bev and David break through more of their hurt and bitterness. Lastly, call it selfish or what-have-you, but I hope to grow more as a person once again, just as I have done through each of the previous Alphas.
 
Comments:
sounds cool Jason. thanks for the description of Alpha. its the best one I've heard yet (i've never been, but sounds interesting). i know my bro likes it - do u ever see him there? Yeah!!! for red headed lady giving her life to the Lord! and cool goals - let us know more as more things unfold.... and by the way, you don't really talk too much, i mean you CAN but you are one of those people that usually knows when to stop.
 
Hey, if you ever talk too much I'll just call you a "gift horse" and punch you in the face.

(for those not in-the-know, Jason once famously mutilated the well-known look-a-gift-horse-in-the-mouth saying)
 
Bek, I have run into Ben a couple of times at Alpha - in fact I sat next to him during Bruce's talk the first week (along with Brighton - do you know/remember Brighton?).

As for Sarah, I "knew" she would make this decision before Alpha was over. The others have much more long term needs, so even though breakthrough can happen, I only plan on remaining diligent and I won't be dismayed if none of them complete their journeys over the next month.
 
yeah, i remember brighton...and you know what? i don't know if i know the well-known gift horse thing...i mean i've heard of it, but i can't tell u what it means
 
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Don’t question the value of a gift. The proverb refers to the practice of evaluating the age of a horse by looking at its teeth. This practice is also the source of the expression “long in the tooth,” meaning old.

Jason bungled the expression and said "Don't punch a gift horse in the face." I'm not sure what the proverbial meaning is behind such an expression.
 
But seriously, would you want to punch a gift horse in the face? I sure wouldn't.
 
If Sammon were standing directly behind the rear hooves of the gift horse I might want to punch it in the face.
 
thx 4 tha real explanation dave, but i prefer jason's.
 
Jason, thanks for telling us about Alpha - you are a great writer :)

I agree with you, I think it is an awesome place for people to come for many reasons...free food doesn't hurt...lol...No, seriously, I am really glad that we do this at our church. And I am even more thankful for guys like you, who are there and really do care about those who come - those that come just to 'check it out' and then end up giving their life to the Lord! That is soo cool!

I pray that God helps you reach your goals :) May God speak through you!
 
free food is so the reason why I signed up this time...I'm on a tight budget...but I'm making great friends, its really amazing. I love Alpha so much, it really worth doing at least once in your life no matter who u think u are. I love it!!!
 
A note: Bev has missed two straight weeks (one for being very sick and one for a great-uncle's death). Aaron has also missed two straight weeks (I pray that he comes back!). Sarah usually wants to come but once in a while cannot find a sitter for her kids, so I'm guessing that's why she wasn't there last night.

That's right, only those that I would label "solid christians" showed up to our table last night, which is something you usually don't want. So, instead of doing the usual Alpha discussion I decided to throw out meatier subjects and controversial views to really get the guys at my table thinking about stuff. (Calvinism vs Armenianism really got the opinions flying). Anyway, hopefully everybody returns next week -- they missed out on an amazingly good dinner.
 
what kinds of things do u have for dinner? and how does that work $$-wise - does wvcc just pay for it?
 
Dinners vary widely. They never cost anybody there a dime. I suppose that must mean that WVCC pays for the food?

Last night we had amazing chicken that was cooked outside all day in a barbeque (they started cooking at 2pm for the 6:45 dinner time) with baked beans, cole slaw, and diner roles.

In past dinners at past Alphas we've had chili, we've had dinner's catered by Dave Barnes restaurant, sometimes it's just a small piece of chicken with "rice and sauce", we've had vegetable lasagna, pizza, and stew. Desserts are usually a piece of pie or cake...but even those vary from week to week.
 
*dismisses Bode with the wave of a hand*
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
for smiles. for fun. for good times. for love. for eternity. for my family. for friends. for myself. for him.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / April 2011 / April 2012 /


>>Blogs that link here

Jason-Moran Dot Com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Buy Jason a Beer!