Jason Moran
Friday, September 02, 2005
  Day 5: My Good vs. My Evil
A coworker of mine convinced me of the health benefits of coffee, so I broke a rule yesterday. Last night Kelly and I went to Starbucks and I ordered a soy mocha no whip. At least I ordered a healthy version of a mocha! Also, I think this evil is a fine reward for my day of good.

If you believe the readout on the elliptical then I burned 900 calories plus whatever I burned lifting. I lifted my triceps and lazily filled time until my signed-up-for elliptical time with some chest exercises. I ran for a continuous hour on the elliptical for a total of 7 miles, 900 calories, and a sustained heart rate of 170 for the entire time. Add to that the 100 or so calories I burned during my 55 minutes of VERY casual lifting and I burned over 1000 calories during my workout yesterday (1:55 total workout time).

I still don't know if I trust the calorie count of the elliptical, because I get far more tired on a treadmill and it doesn't think I burn nearly as many calories as these ellipticals do. Tonight I get to weigh myself on what is usually my heaviest day of the week. If I am still less than my starting weight then I think I might actually be making some slight progress.
 
Comments:
Ok, so I'm breaking my silence about 8 hours too early.

Go read some studies/editorials on treadmills vs. ellipticals. The ellipticals, if you use the arm bars 100% of the time, are the better workout. They also have a perceived ease of use when in fact they're still working you plenty hard. They're great calorie burners.

Hmm, I'm also down from 184 earlier in the week to 181 this morning (I have weighed myself every day for the last 2 or 3 years, always in the morning while dry, before a shower, for consistent results).
 
I don't get this blog spam. I mean, they're usually not selling length or girth enhancing devices, cleavage enhancing pills, russian brides, or anything like that. They're trying to cure Alzheimers, and they want you to look at their vintage toaster collection from 1940-1976. I just don't get it.
 
Ha, what were you saying yesterday about blog spam Jason?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
You forgot the silk robe and leather pants.
 
If you are in the beginnings of this workout craze, as you describe, don't worry about your weight today. You may even weigh more. The body will naturally try to hold in water and other stuff to ensure consistency (our bodies don't like the injury of working out). This is to say that weighing more at this point is not a sign of failure, but possibly a sign of victory.

This fact is a result of hours watching the show "the biggest looser"
 
Thanks for the encouragement everybody!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
for smiles. for fun. for good times. for love. for eternity. for my family. for friends. for myself. for him.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / April 2011 / April 2012 /


>>Blogs that link here

Jason-Moran Dot Com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Buy Jason a Beer!