Jason Moran
Thursday, June 23, 2005
  The Pros and Cons of Working With Computers
I want to preface this by saying it is only natural for humans to network and to keep a few key people in your back pocket to bring out when you get into a jam. You might have a car buddy that will help you to fix your broken down car. You might have a plumber friend to help you when your house suddenly starts to flood. However, I work in the very wide open space that most people simply label "computers".

That giant region is where the real problem lies. What is it that I do with computers? Most people can't really pinpoint it because it is a bit out of their expertise. I am a computer programmer. What does a computer programmer do? I sit at a desk all day (unless I am in a meeting), I usually get to wear jeans or tennis shoes in to work, and I compose program code to make the computer do something of interest. I use compose because most people compare programming to a musical composer or an artist's mural. It is technical yet very artistic.

Anyway, how does programming have anything to do with answering these questions:
1. My computer is slow! Why am I asking you this question?
2. I need to install <<insert random hardware>>, can you help me?
3. I'm gonna upgrade <<insert random hardware>>, what is the best?
4. My network is all flaky! Can you figure out what is wrong?
5. My computer crashes every 7 minutes, what's the deal?
6. I have AIDS! (Well, some computer virus), holy crap!

How does a computer programmer know the answers to these questions? I don't know. It's like asking a bank teller what stock to invest in. Just because that person handles money doesn't mean they know how to invest your money to make large gains in the stock market. Also, I am proficient (read: barely okay) at graphic design. So, why do people ask me to make marketing websites with static content? That's like seeing a mechanic and asking him to race your Indy car. Sure, he could race it -- but he'd definitely not win and probably crash.

Anyway, most of you still don't know what I'm talking about, but I have heard one good piece of advice (thanks Andy): When somebody asks me (a programmer) to do something that is outside of my sphere of expertise I can kindly offer my free legal advice. No I am not a lawyer (IANAL for the 1337 speakers). Basically I don't know how to do what you are asking of me, so I might as well offer something else I don't really know about.

Anyway, I suppose I do know more than almost all of my friends, so I won't stop them from asking me questions. As long as they don't assume that I'm the supreme expert and they don't assume I will do it completely out of the goodness of my heart. Well, I might from time to time...but when you get asked to do this stuff as often as I do, you can't give it away for free every time.
 
Comments:
Jason, since you started this I really do honestly need your help I want to get my blogging spaces to look all cool and I think I just need you to explain to me how easy it and you know how you go on and on with too much information well, I need that so that when I mess up with the easy things I can revert back to what I used to consider useless info and say oh...i think this is what I need to do because when Jason explained that it would be the most logical thing to do. Oh, and I'm a very visual/personal learner which means your probably are going to have to help me out in person. Thanks for offering your expertise to me, I will indulge. :) Oh, and do you have antivirus software that I can install on my computer, I've been meaning to ask.
 
I know exactly what you mean when it comes to computers and work. Just because I use one all day at work for coding Web pages (I think that's what I do)I am in no way a graphic designer or an IT tech support person.

BTW...I am having some serious issues with Netscape v3.4 can you lend me a hand with this on Saturday? And oh by the way I am going to need you to come in on Sunday as well, we lost a few people this week and we need to play "catchup". Thanks Peter.
 
Isn't Netscape v3.4 almost a million years old by now? You need to get out of the world of coporate giants and get into the small shop world. In the small shop world you can say, "Oh, it doesn't work in Netscape v3.4? Oh well, we won't support that browser."

That's how I do it.
 
I get it, you are basically turning me down.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
for smiles. for fun. for good times. for love. for eternity. for my family. for friends. for myself. for him.

Archives
June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / April 2011 / April 2012 /


>>Blogs that link here

Jason-Moran Dot Com

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Buy Jason a Beer!